Tuesday, February 19, 2008

The Milky Way of Life

I've never been good at blogging; whether it's because I find nothing to talk about, or whether I just don't update it as often as I should, or whether my ego is hurt because no one is reading, I always end up giving up on blogging.

I'm attempting this again, in hopes that, because of the blog title, I'll now have a lot to talk about... although, ironically, the blog title is actually the opposite of that.

Because, in a way, although our lives could enjoy the outlook of infinite possibilities, when you really come down to it, and you apply the Reality Quotient (R.Q.) to solve the problem of life, you're really left with infinitesimal -- really small -- possibilities that are a consequence of the small amount of decisions you can actually make.

Take my life, for instance. I've lived a little over three decades, and to this day, I have many things pulling me in different directions -- as I'm sure everyone does -- as to where to go in my life: a musician, a writer, a filmmaker, an Army Officer, an FBI agent... and of course, a husband and a father.

Now, because I'm a relatively boring lead for a software development team (which means I really don't get to do the fun stuff, but rather, the pencil-pushing stuff), married and with a child... do I really have all those infinite possibilities?

If I stop being selfish for a minute, and apply the R.Q. to my life... can I really be a musician? It requires too much time practicing, too much money for equipment, and long road trips if you ever make it that far, which requires a lot of time away from your family.

Can I really be a writer? It requires absolute concentration, focus, no interruptions and a state of zen from which you can extract some ideas for stories, and then spend eight hours or more a day glued to your typewriter, laptop, notebook or what have you, trying to finish one more page. And considering you need food, water and shelter to even survive, and if you're starting in the writing business, you haven't sold anything at all and thus you need to find some other form of sustenance, which won't get the writing done, but you need to provide for your family... well, the list goes on, and you get my point.

So... I'm left with trying to figure out what I can do, what I can be, in the context of my own life. And thus, out of all those infinite possibilities, I'm left with infinitesimal ones... that, although they can certainly be fulfilling, they're harder to find.

So this blog will include passages of my life on my way to find what these infinitesimal possibilities are and where they could lead me.

And although I'm doing this mostly for my selfish self, I wouldn't mind having the ocassional passenger or passengers on this trip through the milky way of life.

God bless and best to all.

No comments: